Saturday, October 31, 2009

Why do I jones for greasy fried food in the hours before I get my period?

I crave freshly made healthy food the rest of the month but just as the hormones reach their peak the greasier and more fried the better. I don't want it the enitre time I am PMSing, just right before.
Answer:
I had the same ? in one of my nursing classes...
After researching the answer this is what I found...

The foods that we crave do several things for us just before
our periods...

1. On an emotional level...we all feel really bad and bloated...the foods we crave are associated with comfort, so we crave them knowing how we will feel in a few days...
Women are twice as likely than men to feel good when they fulfill their food cravings

2 Now medically...the foods we crave contain many neurotransmitters, that affect our appetite. Serotonin, enhances calmness, improves mood, and lessens depression. Serotonin is made from the amino acid tryptophan. High levels of serotonin control appetite and satisfy cravings.

When a person suffers from serotonin deficiency, the brain subconsciously makes that person seek the foods that have high levels of tryptophan. This explains why a number of people crave that candy bar when they get under much stress.

Also, the production of endorphins, a neurochemical, act as natural painkillers and cause for the feeling of pleasure.
Fats and sugar (carbs breakdown into sugars), indeed, appear to boost the brain's production of endorphins.

Hope it helps...
Your cravings are probably from hormonal changes before your period starts. Since you eat healthy most of the time, you probably crave something you don鈥檛 normally eat before your period starts. It is good that you eat healthy regularly, but only eat one (or two) pieces of chicken or order small (or medium) fries instead of the large.

For instance, I am not usually a chocolate-eater, but before my period starts I become this instant chocolate-lover (*laughing at myself*).

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
vc .net