Saturday, October 31, 2009

Why do pregnant women like me have to sleep only on their left side not the right?


Answer:
The inferior vena cava runs in the center of the body (for most people). Thus, sleeping on your back is not recommended because you can restrict blood flow. Sleeping on your left side is preferred because it delivers the most nutrients to the baby through the placenta. There is nothing wrong with sleeping on your right side except that the nutrient flow isn't as great as it is on your left side.

On a personal note...I am 29 weeks pregnant and still sleep on my back, left side, and right side. The other day I woke up on my stomach. Really and truthfully, it doesn't matter. Sleep however you are the most comfortable. You will naturally wake up if you get uncomfortable. I do recommend a body pillow for support though - it's a godsend!

Best of luck!
There is a major artery that runs down your right side. Sleeping on it can cause oxygen deprivation to the fetus.
what she said

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
vc .net